Elder Jones is currently serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. To learn more about what a mission is, visit www.lds.org

Monday, January 5, 2015

Week...Umm...Ah, Flip My Pancakes; I Can't Remember. 21? Sure, Why Not!

GUYS! Geez, stop crying. I know, you missed me for more than a week; I get that; I understand. There's no need to weep. *Moves to brush tears away* ...Okay, sorry, there's a computer screen in the way. Maybe next year. ;D

ALRIGHTY THEN! Well, that was a glorious flip of the pages! I've now entered into what the Momo Missionaries call the "Año Negro" (Black Year, for you Gringos out there ;P  ). It is called such because it is the year for which I will not see my family for its entirety. ...But, because I'm a Dneek (Dorky Nerdy Geek, for those of you who have not had a chance to read the "Dictionary of MKzing Words And Phrses" [totally going to make that someday]), I started a glorious revolution and changed it to "Año Blanco" (White Year), as it's a year spent entirely in the service of The Lord. TAKE THAT, PESSIMISTS! HA! *Shuffles in place*

Man, so many experiences...so many stories...so much to share...and for the life of me I can't really recall any of it. :D

Dominicans celebrate Christmas slightly different that the way we do back in the States. It's sort of like Christmas was a pad of butter that was spread generously over a delicious plot of bread (mmmm...). The herald of this hectic holiday is known as "Noche Buena" (Good Night), which is a night of feasting (sort of like Thanksgiving, just a month behind). Because of such, we missionaries had to be inside a bit earlier than normal, as drinking often accompaies this celebration...and nothing says "target" more than a couple of well dressed youth with heavy bags. Yeah. So, we chilled inside starting at 8PM for a change. We were going to celebrate the Noche Buena with our neighbors (Dominga and her family, for those of you whom I Skyped)...but they started a bit later than planned...like at 11:30PM. :D

THEN CHRISTMAS! Like excited little children, Elder Thibault and I tore open our Christmas packages, then basked in the glory of these little chunks of home. After a time, we cascaded and met up with a swarm of missionaries from our Zone, watched "Frozen" in Spanish, performed a Tie Swap, then rolled home for the main event...the Skype Calling of our families. *Crowd roars with excitement.* Indeed a rather glorious event! Through means of technological wonders, a temporary wormhole divided asunder the boundries of time and space, thus bringing my family to me, and I, to them (to clarify, we Skyped).

A week later, we came upon another likewise marvelous day, in which like a Time Lord, the year would perish but regenerate anew. However, New Year's Eve carries a bit more danger than the Noche Buena, as the celebration is a  bit more...insane. For those of you who have read FableHaven, it's a bit like the Midsummer's Eve Festival. When the last few hours of the year begin to fall, firearms are randomly discharged, cannons like dragons breathe flames, and bonfires are set ablaze at intersections throughout the land. Oh, and there's a LOT of drinking, which just adds to the insanity. So, like the antepenultimate holiday, we needed to be inside, at the latest, 8PM. We passed the time by playing cards and enjoying the remnants of our Christmas Packages, until about 10:30PM when we called it a night (mission rules). However, we set an alarm for about 11:45PM, so as to actually behold the passing of the year. ...I also discovered a hidden superpower that I'd never before known that I held, which is to enter into a state of sleep so powerful that all external disturbances cannot bring me back to conciousness. With all of the madness outside (gunshots, explosions, insanely loud music, evangelists going crazy, random people screaming/laughing), my brain finally activated this superhuman state of unconciousness...insomuch that Elder Thibault shouting my name and shining a mini-sun in my face did not so much as even cause me to stir (Elder Thibault actually thought I died or something, as he shouted my name about 15 times without any response). ...Then I randomly awoke at 11:58PM without any cause whatsoever. I guess my brain's just stubborn? :D

We'd a cool experience two days ago, when we were talking with an investigator named Stayci (who's progressed insanely, absurdly, and gloriously fast). We posed the question as to what's really motivating her, so as to be sure that such is for the right reasons (and not just because I'm maddeningly attractive  ;D    ). She told us her story (which was glorious on its own), and related how she'd a friend from Santiago who used to be a missionary, and how he'd really motivated her to learn more about the church (and was always inviting her to activites and whatnot). The part that Elder Thibault and I freaked out about was when she told us that she'd been trying to find out when the church had its services, and how she saw us once walking by the school (where she was, at that moment) and from the third floor shouted after us and asked us when the church opened. After we told her, she said, "Cool! I'll go!" 
When she related this part of the tale, Elder Thibault and I freaked out with glorious nostalgia, as we recalled that selfsame moment, but didn't ever know that the girl who called to us and the girl we were now teaching were in fact one and the same. We gloried in seeing the fruit of that long forgotten moment, and how spectacular it was to finally behold. Truly, it was a glorious blessing.

Alright, now with regards to the handwritten letters! I want all of you to know that I am indeed (and have been for a while) working on responses to that which I have recieved, but it's a slow going process. At this moment, I am still sculpting a letter to the Brasil Family (it's been almost a month), but near to its completion. I wanted to make sure that you all know that I'm indeed writing you. IT JUST TAKES SO LONG!!! :D

Here's a game to pass the time: count how many times I said "glorious" in this letter. ;D

Feliz Nuevo Año! (Happy New Year!)
-Elder Jonesy

No comments:

Post a Comment