Elder Jones is currently serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. To learn more about what a mission is, visit www.lds.org

Monday, December 8, 2014

16! Which, According to The Age Old Song, Rhymes With "Kitchen"!

"And there shall be days in which the words of the Madmen shall descend once more to the Valleys, and there shall be great rejoicing mingled with nerdy references." -Author Unknown

Another week tucked away! And a bit of a painful one at that, I might add! But, before we go into the deep emotional stories, let us look across some of the smaller, but still equally beautiful ones.

We made guacamole. It was good. Enserio (seriously).

An old Jentzsch Family Tradition was brought to the DR, and shared gloriously with my companion. For those of you who are unfamiliar with such, it is known as "St. Nick's Day". I'd deeply explain the emotional roots behind it...but I'm a missionary, so time is a sauce I left back home. :D
Also, I'd send a picture...but my computer refuses to do such. Huh.

AND NOW, TO THE PAIN! (Princess Bride Reference)

I've continued with my impossible quest to shed all traces of fat from this noodley body of mine, and because of such have endured great trials and tribulation (known in the common tongue as "soreness"). But hey, when I get back, I'm gonna look GREAT! *Dorky Double-Fist-Pump, moonwalks away*

There is once thing that should be avoided at all costs in the DR, known by the deceivingly delicious name: Pan de Fruta (be not deceived, as it is nither bread nor fruit). So apparently, if you're not Dominican, this weird nut thing can play weird tricks on your stomach. Namely, (extremly squemish people, close your eyes now) you will lose fluid from one or both ends. Elder Thibault was up half the night vomiting, whereas I stuck it lucky and only had to endure a couple painful bouts with Diarea. The worst part is, the flavor of the demon nut thing wasn't even that good. Really bland, actually. ...Disappointing.

And now, I would like to slip in a quick note: Mom, don't worry, I'm fine.
I got hit by a motorcycle.
We were heading to an appointment, when we crossed a road. There were two motors heading towards us, the closer of the aforementioned moving to pass behind us. The latter, however, decided to try to go in front of us (the direction we were walking). Unconcerned, we steped back to let him pass...but I suppose he realized how foolish his current direction was, for as we steped back, he moved to go behind us. Still unconcerned, Elder Thibault and I froze, waiting for him to make a decision and go. However, the driver was not the most desisive of chaps, and simply swerved back and forth, trying to pick a side...until he slammed into me.
Elder Thibault grabbed onto my arm, preventing me from falling (which would have made matters worse), and the driver immediate began apologizing profusely, telling us that his brakes weren't working (looking back, it's slightly funny, as I made a fairly effective brake). So, once my head stopped spinning, I did the most logical thing anyone just hit by a speeding motor would do.
I told him that we were Missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and that we'd love to share our message with him some time. :D
I felt kind of bad for him, as he kept freaking the crap out, and we just stood there laughing at how funny of a story this was going to be. We gave him a Pass-Along Card with our names and number on it, and told him that if he ever wanted to hear more about our message, we'd love to share with him.
Man, I wonder what that guy was thinking afterwards...
Anyway, so I walked away basically unscratched, just slightly dizzy from the shock of what just happened, and with a small bruise. According to Elder Thibault, just before it hit me, I jumped a bit, which somehow took away most of the impact. ...I don't remember actually doing anything, but hey! It worked! SECRET NINJA POWERS!
(Mom, stop worrying, I'm fine.)

In other news, we're working to establish a Branch! If you remeber the Miracle that happened the first time we got trapped in La Cuchilla, the same guy that helped us out is similarly now helping us (meaning the Ward) in this regard! (Freaking double pronged miracle!)

Paz y Buena Voluntad!
-Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment